Tech Rider’s Dilemma is an artistic research and production project questioning the possible interactions between tech and art and investigates the necessity of a structured approach to planning/ production, showcasing and preserving new media works.
The project opens an active dialogue aimed at understanding the vulnerabilities of art, not just in the face of time, but also related to technological changes and ideological evolution as well as public interactions, taking the first steps towards creating protocols for new media archiving and preservation in Romania.
The project will include a research phase (involving both artistic, as well scientific experts), disseminated through a podcast pilot program, that will inspire two new artistic works produced in a transdisciplinary team, led by Sabina Suru and Mara Oglakci, alongside scientific researchers from the Institute of Lasers, Plasma and Radiation – with the objective of bridging scientific research protocols with the artistic production process.
These works will be included in two exhibitions – at MAFA – Media Arts Festival Arad and Rezidența9 Bucharest, alongside 6 works that had been previously exhibited and became dysfunctional during or after the exhibitions – three invited works, created by artistic teams working with different mediums led by Antoni Rayzhekov (BG/ AT), Ioana Vreme Moser (RO/ DE) and kinema ikon (RO) – while another three will be selected via an open call.
Are you a new media artist? Then you know the pain! Working on this elaborate, gorgeous, maybe even interactive piece, showing it in the best possible way and then watching it as it stops functioning as it should. Maybe visitors interacted with it in the wrong way. Or maybe some components broke down and no suitable replacements were available (since 5 years ago, they probably stopped producing them, right?). Or maybe you thought it was a one-time show and then needed to re-use / upcycle parts of the work for your next big project (or three).
Does this all sound familiar? Then this open call is for you!
- Send us a project / work you have in storage which no longer works as it should or not even at all, for that matter, at email@example.com with the following:
- Pictures of the artwork in its current state (3-5 pictures)
- Video documentation of the same piece while functioning (ideally in an exhibition setting) – please use a non-expiring platform for the video, like Youtube or Google Drive
- Story of the dysfunctionality (max 1/2 page)
- Short bio of yourself and full team working on the project (if the case)
What we offer:
- We will include your work in a group exhibition at the National Museum for Contemporary Art in Bucharest
- Artist fee of 2750 RON (before taxes)
Deadline for application: October 5th, 2023
Any questions? Mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Tech Rider’s Dilemma is co-financed by the Administration of the National Cultural Fund.
The project does not necessarily represent the position of The Administration of the National Cultural Fund. The Administration of the National Cultural Fund is not responsible for the content of the project or the manner in which the results of the project may be used. These are entirely the responsibility of the funding recipient.